The whole world is concerned about their inability to think clearly. This is a symptom of nervous system dysregulation. We should normalize it for people and for our communities. And, as the world “opens up”, these are the truths we should be aware of:
- We need to realize that we will continue to be re-traumatized as “cells” of Covid19 re-emerge.
- It’s time to review our core systems, especially non-sensical silo-ed funding systems, which are now clearly exposed, and are, often, in the way of service.
- Many people are likely to have at least mild short-term PTSD, and it’s more likely in Nonprofits due to the types of people drawn to the work.
- Together we are experiencing community trauma. We cannot heal in isolation. Community traumas are healed in community.
- Now is the time to build trauma sensitive and trauma informed orgs so we can heal together.
- When we are finally able to work in the same place again, we can’t pretend everything is the same. Pretending will make the trauma worse. We know traumatized people need a plan and some idea about what to expect - even if it’s just for a day.